Often referred to as America’s most beautiful home and garden center, Roger’s Gardens has been a destination landmark in Orange County for over 35 years. Set across an immaculate seven acres, customers can browse an unparalleled selection of plants in the nursery and find unique décor items to enhance their homes and gardens.
Going beyond serving the community through its retail operations, Roger’s Gardens is now benefitting the Orange County area by adopting a green approach to running its business. Demonstrating their serious commitment to the environment, Roger’s Gardens has implemented a comprehensive sustainability program that covers every aspect of their operations—from how they generate and use energy to how they manage their water use. From preserving the area’s groundwater to recycling to community education, Roger’s Gardens has proven to be a leader in the Newport Beach community, taking an active approach to preserving the California’s environment and positively influencing the green habits of its loyal customers.
As stewards of the earth both in thought and practice, Roger’s Gardens required an energy solution that would meet its green objectives, without interfering with the beauty or functionality of its facility. They chose a 15 kW ClearEdge Power fuel cell system. Its compact footprint vs. a comparable solar solution meant it could fit discretely into Roger’s Gardens impeccable landscaping, while generating enough clean power and heat to support the facility’s operations. Providing a reliable source of heat for the nursery’s orchid area, the heat byproduct produced by the fuel cell creates further savings. In addition, because the fuel cells operate at up to 90% efficiency, Roger’s Gardens is able to reduce the amount of fuel required to power their facility, while reducing carbon emissions by a whopping 41%. Together with the rest of its green initiatives, Roger’s Gardens is setting a terrific example for green businesses in Orange County and the nation at large.
- The facility was re-landscaped to meet California Friendly Garden® specifications for water conservation
- Sidewalks and paved surfaces are swept with broom instead of water
- Satellite-based irrigation controllers irrigates only when necessary
Runoff & Watershed Pollution
- Only sells organic and natural gardening products- no pesticides which could contaminate the area’s groundwater
- Almost zero-runoff thanks to high efficiency, low runoff irrigation equipment
- Onsite sumps and catchment basins
- Uses only green cleaning supplies
Recycling & Waste Management
- Rigorous recycling programs in place
- Installation of a 15 kW ClearEdge Power fuel cell energy system maximizes their efficiency
- Uses LED products, skylights and programmable timers to reduce electricity consumption from lighting by 35%
Community Outreach & Education
- Hosts the California Friendly Garden Contest every year to encourage customers to conserve and protect our natural resources
- Hosts instructional gardening seminars that promote the use of natural, sustainable, non-chemical approaches
Plastic Container Recycling Program
- In an effort to better serve both our customers and the environment, Roger’s Gardens invites you to return your used and unwanted plastic nursery containers. We will accept any size container for re-use and recycle. Simply return them to us and we’ll do the rest. Roger’s Gardens is committed to finding solutions that protect the environment, including California Friendly® landscaping, selling fertilizers and pesticides that contain only natural and organic ingredients, extensive recycling, LED lighting, and more. Join us in our pursuit to improve our community waste management program, one container at a time.